Old July 25th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Garmin 496 Review

On the taxiway diagrams, do you get a cursor showing
your position on the chart?

Have to drive over to the airport to find out :-)

Bill Hale

Mike Granby wrote:
Other things...

* The update rate of 5Hz may apply to the data fields on the map page
and to the panel page, but the map update is only about twice the rate
it was. Panning and zooming on the map is noticably faster than on the
396, but not five times as fast.

* The taxiway feature is excellent. Zoom in towards an aiport, and a
white square appears showing the airport diagram. Get closer, and you
see the taxiways in detail complete with numbering. Should be very
useful at large airports eg. on AngelFlights.

* The preloaded city and highways data is a solid addition. On a couple
of occassions I forgot to load enough data into the map cartridge
before taking a trip and using the 396 in the car, and on one occasion
the lack of data lead me into The 'Hood. Having all the data in place
will be better -- and safer!!!

* The AOPA directory is nice, and when panning the cursor around you
get a little popup telling you if the airport has food, cars etc. What
I'd really like to see is a NEAREST FOOD feature on the Nearest page.
I'm not joking -- several times I've been trying to find an airport
with a restaurant nearby on a long wx, especially when kids are in tow,
and having the GPS help out would be a great addition.

So, overall, is it worth it? Probably not, to be honest, but if I had
more sense than money, I wouldn't own an airplane...