Old May 3rd 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 7:47:35 PM UTC-5, SoaringXCellence wrote:
It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open Vario platform running Android.

Chip Bearden

The Open Vario runs a version of Linux on a Cubieboard 2. Much faster than Android. The kits from Stefan Langer are a delight to assemble and can be "stalk" mounted if you want.
https://www.stefly.aero/

Caz Yokoyama has ported the TopHat software to the Open Vario and you can actually select either XCSoar, TopHat or LK8000 at boot, in the current system image. I've flown with both the 5.7 and 7" screens from Texim and they're both easy to see in direct sunlight.

Mike

I fly in the USA with an OpenVario I built, with a Texim 5.7" screen running XCSoar. Very readable in all conditions. I have over 160 hours on it so far over a year and a half of flying, wide variety of environmental conditions, no heating problems. It has worked great except for two in-flight freezes early on, which seem to have been resolved, perhaps by an SD card image update.

I am intrigued with TopHat for the OpenVario. Does it require a touchscreen? I currently do not have a touchscreen on my OpenVario, although I could hook one up, the interface is there. But I don't want to degrade the excellent sunlight readability by integrating a touch screen. I currently have a remote (SteFly's stick buttons/Arduino with modified code) and also SteFly's dual rotary encoder unit, and would like to stick with them. Also, any links to a download for TopHat for OpenVario?

Cheers,
Jim Hogue J6