Old June 4th 04, 05:03 PM
Cecil Chapman

BTW, I read "The Killing Zone" too (just nearing 300 hours).

The only problem (and it's a minor one) with statistics is that to believe
in them is to make a pilot feel as if he/she is just a victim of 'The
Fates'. This is also the problem with John King's big announcement about
'the big lie' that I'm sure you've all heard about.

If I believed in such determinism/fatalism I would sell my gear and give up
flying and never have a second thought about it.

The 'beauty' of flying is that we (individually) control many more of the
risks than any other activity (like driving, for example). The risk of a
midair is rare, but the risk of some drunk or distracted driver plowing into
to you at 65 MPH, on the WAY to the airport is MUCH more likely - AND it is
a situation that we have little or no control over,,,, unlike most of the
aspects of flight.

We are EACH individuals loaded chock-full with self-determinism as pilots.
It is our attention to detail, from the briefing to the takeoff that affects
the safety of our flights.

So, don't ignore the 'details' and sound judgment ,, keep your proficiency
well-honed AND enlist the services of your favorite CFI, now and then, to
have a good 'objective' assessment of where you are at in your flying
capabilities and I will be so bold to suggest that you have very little
chance of getting 'bit'.

I'm a little 'scared' now,,, in a few more minutes I have to do some site
visits for clients and WILL HAVE TO DRIVE ON THE FREEWAY WITH ALL THOSE
DARNED AUTOMOBILE/TRUCK DRIVERS,,,,,, YIKES!!!!!! ;-)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -