Old June 4th 04, 09:13 PM
Gary Drescher

"Marco Rispoli" wrote in message
t...
Here's a pilot profile

Between 50 and 350 hours
This is the killing zone and that profile fits me to a T.

The problem I have with the Killing Zone is that the author never
establishes that the fatality rate per hour of flight time is any greater
for pilots in the 50-350 hour range than for pilots with any other level of
experience. What he establishes instead is that the annual fatality rate per
quantile of flight experience is elevated in that range of experience. But
it's conceivable, for instance, that disproportionately many hours each year
are flown by pilots in that range. Then, you'd expect disproportionately
many fatalities in that range even if each hour flown by a pilot in that
range is as safe (or even safer) than an hour flown by other pilots. Because
he hasn't normalized by the annual hours flown, the author hasn't
established that pilots in the designated "zone" have any elevated risk at
all.

--Gary