Old January 4th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob.Russell

Default Flight navigation/moving map software for Android System

On Jan 3, 4:40*pm, Max Kellermann wrote:

Actually, that is no surprise. *The primary goal of corporate projects
is to maximize monetary profit, and our primary goal is technical
perfectionism just for the fun of it.

You're right -- and the worst example of a corporate porting failure
was the Corel Wordperfect fiasco. They had a perfectly workable Linux
version of Wordperfect, and instead of updating it, they decided to
port the Windows version over with WINE. The only team I've seen do
that kind of stuff well was Mozilla, but that was more of a cross-
platform development effort from the start, and even moreso when they
started over.

Knowing that, is it surprising that there is no Android/MeeGo port of
any commercial glide computer? *I talked to one vendor recently, and
the representative insisted that Windows CE is still a future-proof
platform... (even though Windows Phone 7 is not compatible)

It's reasonably future-proof for running legacy code, and so long as
they want to work in that marketspace, that's fine -- I think the
bigger disappointment is how mobile OS vendors have been shying away
from making this stuff possible. There's no real reason to keep these
kinds of apps off Win7, off iOS, off WebOS.