Old March 21st 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Molesworth

Default Expat Retirement with soaring?

South Africa - I miss my 8 m/s thermals, 14000' cloudbase, mountains 10000' high and 1000km flights to be had for the asking. Stupendous food and wine, people, flying, scenery, geography but paint it however you like you are always a man flying a $250 000 toy in a country where 90% of the population have an annual HOUSEHOLD disposable income of $2333 and a human life is worth considerably less. We left, our families left, our friends and colleagues have all left, some never made it out. I know people who have gone over to settle and think it's paradise. It isn't.

I have spent a lot of time in Germany, France and Spain. Southern Germany and Austria are simply stunning. The flying is tremendous. The Alps are a lifetimes work. Greece and the Balkans have massive potential, Greece has to get over it's post military past though and that's going to take time. If you can swing it I'd plan a 5 to 7 year rolling tour of Europe. Winters in mountains in the UK, France, Spain, Austria, Italy, Scandanavia. Summers just about anywhere, touring and mixing European culture and flying. What a retirement!