Old April 4th 18, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default DG-100 vs Std Libelle - opinions wanted

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 17:07:47 -0700, davidlawley wrote:

Hi Martin, read your notes, under handling point 3, you suggest that
differential makes the down going aileron travel further than the
upgoing one.

Yep - and I was wrong. Just looked at the data sheet, which shows a lot
of differential, but in the other direction: 20 degrees up, 12 down.
Moral: trust the data sheet, not ones imperfect recollection.

Thanks for spotting it. I've just updated the page by removing the
reference to aileron differential, but the rest of the comment about the
occurrence of aileron stalls matches my experience.

This is why rudder is required to prevent adverse yaw.

Indeed, and its still needed because even a 12 degree downward deflection
adds more drag than 20 degrees of upward deflection.

However, I still think that this year I'll fit a set of 35mm wingtip
skids. Mine has 12mm rubber blocks fitted which are a bit too short: a
fully deflected aileron can touch the ground.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org