Old March 16th 05, 01:06 PM
RNR

On 15 Mar 2005 11:52:22 +0100, (Ted Lindgreen)
wrote:

In article ,
RNR wrote:
I was unable to complete this process. My first step was to attempt
to download my routes and waypoints to Mapsource to preserve them. My
computer would recognize the gps and I could begin the download
process. After about 10 seconds I would get a message informing me
that the gps was not detected and suggesting that I check my transfer
protocols, make sure the gps is turned on and something else that I

Yes have seen that a few times, both with my own Garmin 196 and
with one of a college. Problem is a screwed-up route in the GPS.

The quick workaround is to delete all routes in the GPS, you'll
find that transferring waypoints and tracks will work after that
(of course: you have lost you routes :-( ).

What exactly is the proble, I do not know, but I have tried to
communicate a number of times with Garmin about it. Without
success though. (Garmin is always polite, but seldom helpful).

My gps has the beta system software V3.92 (I think that's the correct

After upgrading from V3.92 you you will probably find that your
196 is reset to factory-settings, so saving waypoints is important
before upgrading.

Regards,
-- ted

Ted,

Many, many thanks to you. I deleted my routes and then the machine
performed as advertised. I have no idea why this would be,
particularly since I haven't added any new routes since my last system
update, but it did definitely work. After the fact, I was sorry that
I didn't delete them one at a time to try to find the offending route
but it's too late for that now. I was able to preserve my waypoints.
Thanks again.
Rich Russell