Old August 28th 18, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Rudder system failure

Do you know for a fact it was a rudder failure? JJ Sinclair had an
interesting post about the vertical fin stalling on a Nimbus 3, and the
dirty air behind it causing the rudder to go hard over.

On 08/27/2018 05:23 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
After the Arcus rudder failure in Nephi this summer, and the Early JS1 rudder failure in Moriarty, both resulting in bailouts; I've been wondering.....
In a 15 meter ship like a ASW 20 or LS3a or ASW27, does a hard over rudder failure mean its bailout time, or is it possible to "catch" the ensuing turn with the ailerons.
Or is it best to get out quick before you get pinned in the cockpit due to the increasing G forces.
Would it be landable on a airport?
Does wingspan effect the equation?
I've been meaning to try this in my LS3a, but its in the shop, soaking up hundred dollar bills.
By trying this, I mean see if I can fly it straight with one rudder pinned to the floor for a extended period of time, and make some gentle turns.
any thoughts?