Old July 10th 15, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Waldo

Default Gel coat removal - is this okay?!?

On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 6:54:38 AM UTC-4, Kevin Christner wrote:
Never seen gel coat removed via pneumatic razor blade. Looking at the surface it would appear this has taken off the veil cloth with the gel coat. Any experts care to comment as to the validity of this method / post operating room safety / airworthiness?

2C

I actually used the process with some success on my horizontal Stab on my Peg. I got 80% off using the pneumatic razor blade method. My Gel coat was pretty bad and was flaking off easily. The picture below in the link is after a couple of hours with the tool. Note all the chips that came off. I had to sand the edges as they where bonded to the fiberglass much better and would not chip off. As others have said, lots of pin holes to fill in afterwards. No damage to the Fiberglass under the gel-coat using the tool CAREFULLY. Looks great after Hank did his magic with a spray gun...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9...XdqYnlzTFNxRFk

Chuck
(Hope the Link works)