Old September 13th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Cessna Cardinal 177 RG II v. Piper Arrow III (70s) v. Piper ArrowIII (brand new)

I can put $150,000 down.

That buys a lot of airplane, especially for your missions.

If this is your first time buying, I wouldn't go whole hog. Learn on
the first one, and then step up if necessary.

As for reliability (in the avionics, for example), you are better off in
some ways having two systems with 95% reliability than one system with
99% reliability. So, money spent for the "super reliable" may be better
spent on a simple backup system. But personal taste counts for
something (otherwise we'd all be flying other people's airplanes). I've
never owned a plane, but I certainly would not buy the very expensive
new plane as my first one. I'd learn (ownership) on a less expensive
one, make my mistakes where they don't cost as much, and once I know a
lot more than I know now, I'd trade up appropriately (or not - it may
turn out that I had already hit the sweet spot).

Jose
--
There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats.