Old September 18th 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Potential Club Class (US Sports Class) World Team SelectionPolicy Changes

On Sep 18, 4:45*am, "John Godfrey (QT)"
wrote:
* * * * * * * * The US Team Committee, in cooperation with the Rules
Committee and based on responses received through the on-line
competition survey conducted last year, has decided to recommend to
the SSA Board of Directors at its winter meeting that they approve
amendment to the Selection Policy for US Club Class Teams selected for
WGC participation starting in 2011.

* * * * * * * * 1) We will no longer restrict eligibility to pilots
who have not participated in a previous WGC event, i.e. all
participants in Sports Class Nationals flying eligible gliders will be
eligible

* * * * * * * * 2) We will broaden the list of gliders which may be
flown to generate eligible scores for Club Class selection in our
Sports Class Nationals. *It is anticipated that most Standard, 15
Meter, and 18 Meter gliders will be accommodated.

* * * * * * * * We are currently rewriting our Selection Policy to
reflect these changes and will publish the text in draft form as soon
as possible. A draft Eligible Glider List will be also be produced
incorporating these changes. If approved, our selection next fall for
the year two pilot for the 2012 WGC will be made on this basis.

* * * * * * * * These proposed changes do not affect selection of the
year one pilot - i.e. selected two years in advance of the 2012 Sports
Class WGC in Argentina, provided as currently required that the pilot
participates in the 2011 pre-World contest there.

* * * * * * * * Given that these changes are being proposed, we wanted
to disseminate the news *as early as possible so that interested
pilots could plan their 2011 competition schedules accordingly

For the Committee
DJ

1. I would encourage the committee to delay implementing the changes
until 2012 so those that have "played by the rules" are not impacted
two thirds of the way through a three year cycle.

2. If these are truly "proposed" and not already decided will there
be
a comment period? Flying a true Club Class glider is very different
from flying a newer glider. I am talking about 38 to 1 Std, Cirrus,
LS-1, ASW 15, Std Jantar, etc. Also, the intent of the Club Class
was
to provide an avenue for those that do not have the funds or desire
spend $80,000 to $300,000 on a glider to be able to complete and
represent their country.

The last two sports class nationals have been won by ASG-29's, do we
all have to spend $150,000 to play the game? The club class was to
be
the "common man's" class, the last place that you could not buy your
way on to the team with the latest glider. 2010 was ruled by span
and
wing loading (ASG-29, Ventus 2cx, ASW-27's). Day six showed the
difference when the lowest handicapped finisher was a Discus flown
beautifully and persistently by Sarah Kelly, everything with a higher
handicap could not penetrate the winds to cross the desert.

3. When will we see the corrected scores from 2009 and 2010 with the
scoring errors fixed? While those years standings are "official"
those that flew the contest should been informed of how they should
have done and if those scores will count toward team selection. A
fundamental error in the scoring program is a something that almost
no
one is going to catch in the midst of a contest.

Tim