Old November 22nd 03, 03:06 PM
JJ Sinclair

Mark wrote
It strikes me that the yaw of crop hitting a
wing is the real problem.

You're completely right about this. I got my LS-6 after its previous owner
tried to land in 8 foot high corn. The fuselage broke in 3 places, before
anything hit the ground. The major problem is catching a wing tip and then
performing a flying ground loop. My wing took the sudden reversal in direction
very well and was just scraped up a bit. The fuselage (mainly the tail mass)
wasn't able to turn that fast and failed (in compression) on the inside, of the
very rapid left turn that was commanded when the left wing tip hit the corn.
That's a massive moment arm (25 feet). The spar is tremendously strong when
loaded in this way (for and aft) but the fuselage isn't. The ASH-25 has an arm
of 43 feet and one must never place ones wing tip in any crops. Plowed ground
is my choice, because DIRT DON'T HURT.

JJ Sinclair