Old June 17th 04, 11:25 AM
Martin Gregorie

On 17 Jun 2004 09:26:39 GMT, Chris Nicholas
wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. I am now busy studying details of the
various recommendations. Any more info/views would be welcome, too.

Here's another pair of ideas:

I'm currently using a GPS II+ feeding an SDI C4 and an EW model D
logger. I have some unanswered questions about the C4. This works
well, but I'd prefer some sort of moving map display with airspace
shown and there are issues with getting GPS data into the C4 (see
below).

I'm considering replacing this set-up with a GPS-35 blind GPS feeding
an iPAQ 3630 running XCSoar and the EW model D. With this setup the C4
is overkill and could be replaced with a less complex vario (B.50,
LX1600, etc) because XCsoar does all the final glide stuff.

I like the look of XCsoar because it has an uncluttered, high contrast
display format and needs little if any poking while you're flying the
task. As a bonus, it can also feed MacCready, wind and distance data
to a vario that will accept the standard NMEA sentences containing
this data.

I picked on a GPS-35 because I can mount it on the cowl where its out
of sight in front of the compass: I need the panel real estate
currently occupied by the GPS II+ to install the iPAQ. It also helped
that I got the GPS-35 cheap off eBay.

FWIW the outstanding C4 questions a

- my C4 seems to be seeing the GPS: it seems to be using the GPS
circling detection to switch from netto to TE mode. However, it won't
calculate wind or distance. I use GOTO TP on the GPS rather than
putting a task into it. Is this confusing the C4 or is the wiring loom
wrong?

- if I switch to an iPAQ based system, can the C4 accept wind and
MacCready parameters from the iPAQ?

I'm having problems contacting the local agents, so I'd appreciate it
if anybody can help with these points.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK