Old June 19th 05, 10:13 PM
RST Engineering

Having done this twice now, once on a freeway and once on a dragstrip, I can
assure you that the last thing you want to do is get to your point of
intended touchdown needing just another five knots or fifty feet --
ESPECIALLY in something as slippery as the Bo.

In the freeway case, I saw my opening in the lineup of cars, came across
each of them at about 80 knots at 50' agl or so and gave them a chance to
slow up, which they did. I then slowed up to 50 to hit my opening, but
didn't count on the clapped-out Datsun in the right lane going uphill with
six kids in the back at (generously) 30 mpg.

With another 5 knots to play with, I could have leapfrogged the Datsun.
That wasn't an option once the committment was made. Gliders run out of
potential and kinetic energy pretty much simultaneously.

Jim

"john smith" wrote in message
Larry Dighera wrote:
The story indicates that the California Highway Patrol estimated the
Bonanza's speed at 90 mph. Wouldn't the pilot have attempted to touch
down at about 50 knots? If not, why not.