Old January 21st 04, 02:35 PM
Peter R.

C J Campbell ) wrote:

I have no problem with flying the ILS at 90 or 100 knots if the ceiling is
well above minimums, but it seems to me that if the ceiling is 200 feet
overcast you ought to be flying the approach slowly enough that you can land
at that speed.

A slow ILS approach speed won't cut it when landing at Boston's Logan.
Granted I have only landed there four times in a C172S, but three of the
times we were IMC to just above DH. In every case ATC wanted us very fast
due to the long line of airliners behind us.

I do not think I am a skilled pilot yet, but I am able to slow the C172
down quickly enough to simulate braking pretty hard in an automobile; power
to idle, raise nose slightly, one notch of flaps, at 85 dump remaining
flaps. Knowing that the runway is over 10,000 feet certainly adds comfort
when flying the fast approach.

--
Peter