Old May 26th 19, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default ASH25 out to kill you?

On Sun, 26 May 2019 07:53:58 -0700, JS wrote:

To me the ASH25 handles just like an ASW20.
Never spun one, but haven't tried in a 20 either.

I have and recovery is quite benign - recovery in 1/4 turn though 300 ft
lower and doing 80 kts from a 45-50 kt thermal turn with zero flaps
(position 3).

I don't know whether this was specific to my early example (s/n 34), but
it twice departed without warning from a 40 degree banked thermal term at
around 45 kts with zero flap selected. I suspect in-thermal turbulence
had a hand in that because the 2nd time it happened, I tried and failed
to provoke a similar departure in late afternoon air after I finished the
task.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org