Old August 29th 03, 08:18 PM
Ed Majden

"Keith Willshaw
Yes but not much, the specific activity of Pu-238 is only 0.063 curies

per
gram

Correction - that should be PU-239

Keith:
Reason I asked is, I had a thyroid problem some years ago and got
radiation treatment for it. I was told by the nuclear medicine types to go
into this room. On the table I would find a lead lined container which
contained the radiation pill. I was told to swallow it and then tell them
when I was done. Hell, they wanted me to swallow it and not even be in the
same room with the stuff when removed from the protective container. :-) I
was told to stay away from young children for a few month until this stuff
decayed. My job required me to ware a film badge and dosimeter. Didn't
think much about it at the time, but these two detectors are read on a
specific scheduled. Mine of course read a high exposure reading so they got
quite excited until I told them I had had thyroid radiation treatment. This
radiation lasted for about a year until it was too weak to be picked up by
the detectors.
Ed