Old December 21st 03, 05:08 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

Richard Riley wrote:

Sometime recently (last 6 months or so) there was a post about how
much a well done auto conversion costs. The point was that if you're
doing it right - rebuild with race quality parts, proven PSRU, etc -
that the initial installation isn't significantly less than a zero
timed LyCont. (I think it's accepted by both sides that a rebuild
will be significantly less for the auto conversion, but that wasn't
the point)

IIRC, it broke down the costs to pretty small details. I've googled
but can't find it. Does anyone remember it, or is this a figment of
my sleep deprived imagination?

Richard,

We most often agree and I really don't have a horse in this race either
way but I see one flaw in your statement.

Comparing an auto engine built up with "race quality parts" to an
aircraft engine that is "zero timed" is not fair. There is nothing in a
zero timed engine built buy lycoming or continental that remotely
resembles the latest technology or "race quality parts" that you can buy
for an auto engine. Aircraft engines are 1930's technology. Not saying
that there's anything wrong with that, I fly behind a Jacobs radial
everyday. It just isn't apples to apples in my opinion.

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.belleairetours.com