Old December 22nd 03, 03:24 PM
Corky Scott

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 07:07:35 GMT, Richard Riley
wrote:

Sometime recently (last 6 months or so) there was a post about how
much a well done auto conversion costs. The point was that if you're
doing it right - rebuild with race quality parts, proven PSRU, etc -
that the initial installation isn't significantly less than a zero
timed LyCont. (I think it's accepted by both sides that a rebuild
will be significantly less for the auto conversion, but that wasn't
the point)

IIRC, it broke down the costs to pretty small details. I've googled
but can't find it. Does anyone remember it, or is this a figment of
my sleep deprived imagination?

Richard, I think this depends on who does the build: someone who sells
firewall forward units, or a homebuilder who does all the work
himself.

For a firewall forward unit, I've seen pricing up to $18,000 for
something making around 200 hp. For something like the Enginair 420
hp V8, that costs around $80,000 last time I looked.

For guys who want to do the work themselves, the cost can be
considerably lower. In my case, I expect my final cost will be
somewhere between $5,000 and $6,000 for a complete 190 hp running
engine installed in the airframe. The engine should be considered
zero timed.

Corky Scott