Old January 23rd 04, 01:11 AM
Nathan Young

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:01:48 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"carlos" wrote in message
| I'm in the market for a moving-map aviation GPS, and trying to decide
| between Garmin's color 295 and their grayscale 196.
|
| The 196 is a newer model, has a better screen and more functions, but the
| 295 offers a color screen. (Why Garmin doesn't offer a color 196, I don't
| understand. They already offer the 176C, which is a marine version of the
| 196 in color - Does anyone know why????).
|
| So, is there anyone with experience with both GPSs (the 295 and 196)? Any
| comments? Recommendations?

Yes. Wait for the GARMIN 296, which is due out in a few weeks. It is a color
version of the 196. GARMIN has let a few people see the 296, on pain of
death if they reveal its existence -- which is the surest way to get free
publicity that I know of.

I personally have used the 295 ever since it came out. It is a nice unit,
but battery life is relatively short compared to the 195, which was its
black and white contemporary. It has a lot more features than the 195,
though. The 196 does have a better screen, but the additional functions
don't seem all that useful. Who really wants to keep their logbook on a GPS?

I have a 295. Flown with it for about 3 years. It is great, I would
buy another in a hearbeat. The color display is great as well,
although I've not flown with a 196, I've seen them in AvShops, and
prefer the 295 display.

If there really is a 296 coming out - it would be worth the wait - and
the additional cost.

-Nathan