Old January 23rd 04, 06:47 AM
Dude

Hmm, I think that panel may be worth a lot during a vacuum failure, but
maybe not without any practice.

As much as I love computers, I still keep my log by hand. Maybe when I
finish getting through a few more ratings, and don't need the instructors
signature all the time, I will try a computer log.

"Joe Dubner" wrote in message
I played with the "backup panel" feature of my Garmin 196 but decided it
wasn't of any value unless I practiced flying with it a lot (something I
don't want to do as I'd have to give up the moving map to use it).
Everyone I know personally flying with a 196 has turned that feature
off. I generally fly with the moving map/HSI screen.

OTOH, I find the logbook very useful. I don't "keep a logbook on the
GPS"; I download the logbook to a PC periodically where the log is kept,
then I clear the GPS log. It has some cute features: it records the
number of landings, maximum speed and altitude reached on each flight
for what that's worth. I like the sunrise/sunset display too -- helps
me figure out ETA with respect to darkness.

I feel like I got a lot of value for the $840 I paid for it six months
ago. Bit I wish it had an obstruction database like my two Lowrance
Airmaps that eventually croaked.

--
Joe
Long-EZ 821RP

On 22-Jan-04 17:06 Dude wrote:

The 196 does have a better screen, but the additional functions
don't seem all that useful. Who really wants to keep their logbook on a

GPS?

Do you not think the backup panel is useful? I haven't seen one, but

that
sounds useful to me.

As for the logbook, I agree that it doesn't sound too useful. This

comment
struck a chord with me because it always feels like I am paying extra

for
functionality I don't want.

OUT