Old March 3rd 04, 02:46 PM
James M. Knox

Aaron Coolidge wrote in
:

I don't think the auto extender is the culprit. If you are concerned,
have a mechanic put it on jacks, retract the gear, shut off the
master, and go to lunch (or home for the night). Then check which gear
has sagged. There's a nice flowchart in the service manual, as well.

I think you are most likely correct - the auto extender is not involved.

It doesn't take MUCH movement of the gear door to be enough to let one of
those little microswitches come on (they are notorious for not going off
even with the gear up - and get adjusted and adjusted, until they break).
That far back (where the gear doors are) is probably a lower pressure area
(try to close the cabin door in flight some time G) and the extra speed
pulled it out a few millimeters.

Another likely factor... this is an older Arrow 180. They came with 1400
PSI switches. The 1400 PSI system was marginal. Newer ones came with 1700
PSI, which held the gear doors shut better (and for longer periods of
time). Many (but not all) have been upgraded, but we don't know if this
one has.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331