Old March 4th 04, 05:44 AM
BTIZ

I did not realize the AD was rescinded.. actually I think the gist of the AD
was that Piper did not want to be responsible for aging equipment and have
to take the responsibility for a gear up landing because the "auto extender"
failed to protect the pilot who forgot/neglected/ it always worked before..
to personally extend the gear.

BT

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Roy Smith wrote:
In article bwc1c.12546$id3.4348@fed1read01,
"BTIZ" wrote:

BTW, I'm not sure about the older 180HP arrows, but most of the newer

Arrows
have the auto extend mechanism disabled by either an AD or a Service
Bulletin.

Why would you want to disable it?

So you can practice maneuvers near minimum airspeed without the gear

dropping,
so the gear doesn't drop when the gear extension pitot gets iced over

(it's not
heated). Of course, here we are talking about disabling it with the

cockpit
control, not by AD.

IIRC from my Piper-flying days, there was an AD to disable the

auto-extension,
then the AD was rescinded. While the AD was in effect, it was disabled on

some
airplanes and never re-enabled. So there's a mix of airplanes out there

with and
without the auto gear extension enabled.