Old December 28th 03, 04:15 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Just because the first link didn't work all that well for me, here is the
summary line of the article:

Report: Saudi Police Foil Airliner Attack
By Peter Graff

LONDON (Reuters) - Saudi security forces have seized light planes packed
with explosives near Riyadh's King Khalid airport, foiling a plot by suicide
pilots to blow up a Western airliner on the runway, a British newspaper said
on Sunday.

The interesting part of "taxing by" and detonating may work.. but they

don't
need an airplane to do that.. any airport ground vehicle will do.

Actually, a ground vehicle like a baggage train, a simple cargo van, a
catering truck, etc. would be able to carry vastly more explosives than a
light aircraft. True, some of these vehicles would look out of place on the
taxiways near the runway. But I suspect that it would be over so quickly
that the fires would be burning only a few seconds after someone in the
tower said, "What is that catering truck doing all the way out there?"

I'm trying to imagine how the TSA is going to react to this one. No more
private aircraft at primary Class B airports? Bomb-sniffing dog inspections
prior to taxi?