Old November 3rd 03, 06:37 PM
C J Campbell

When I was not progressing on my instrument rating at Sierra Academy, I went
to American Flyers to see if I would benefit from a different approach (so
to speak).

The instructor did not have a hood for me to wear, yet she claimed to be
giving me instrument instruction. We flew several approaches. She
demonstrated complete lack of understanding on how to fly an NDB approach.
She talked so much that we missed several radio calls. She did not know that
when flying a localizer approach that the CDI will work no matter what the
OBS is set to; she thought the CDI was broken!

I expected better of a CFII, so I stayed with SA and finished there. Since
SA was milking me (big time), I switched to AllATPs for the rest of my
ratings. AllATPs did exactly what was promised, no more and no less -- which
meant a lot of time spent on self study. AllATPs got me to the point where I
could pass the check ride, but that was about it. There is something to be
said for this approach, but the graduate has to understand that he has a lot
of work ahead of him. I believe that the depth of instrument training at SA
continues to benefit me to this day. The practical experience of AllATPs
long, multi-day cross country multi-engine training is equally valuable.

If I could construct a custom course, it would be a combination of SA's
ground schools with ATP's flying experience.