Old January 18th 04, 11:44 AM
Kevin Horton

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:47:17 -0800, Bob Babcock wrote:

I thought I would throw out this old debate question to get peoples
personal experiences and reasons for preferences? Thanks

It all depends on the mission of the aircraft. If you are doing something
that requires a good view of the ground (pipe line patrol, traffic
reporting, etc) then a high wing is best. If you are doing something that
involves a lot of manoeuvring, then you want good visiblity in the
direction you will be going in the manoeuvre. People (and most
engines) have a preference for positive-g manoeuvring, so that means you
want a good view in out the side and up, so you can clear the direction of
the turn. That might favour a low wing.

If you are just going to fly around like you drive a car - i.e. drone from
one place to another, then it probably doesn't make any practical
difference whether you have a high wing or low wing.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada