Old October 21st 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default 737 Replacement

writes:

Oh really? How many circuit boards have you designed? I have designed
quite a few, and have done the embedded firmware for them as well.

Embedded firmware is software.

Vacuum-powered artificial horizons don't require much in the way of
circuits or firmware.

Hardware designs can have bugs just as can software, they are just of a
different nature. Hardware bugs can be much harder to find and fix
than software becasue they are often the results of multiple variables
(circuit/environment/input conditions/power quality etc.). By
comparison, software is at least constrained to a specific set of
instructions and syntax. Plenty of hardware designs have bugs that
slip past initial testing and don't get found until the right corner
condition is hit...

So add the hardware risks to the software risks.