Old April 5th 04, 11:36 PM
Robert M. Gary

Really the only reason to go into SMF is if you need a rental car at a
convient time. SAC can arrange to have cars but its a 9-5 M-F thing,
SMF has cars 24x7. SAC is very GA friendly. SMF will have a police
officer waiting to talk to you when you shutdown (they need name/N
number). SMF is actually not bad for GA, they have their own GA area
and all, they're just not used to too much of it. Fuel can be tough
because you are WAY down on the priority list for the truck. The other
problem is that SMF is out in the middle of nowhere.
I've been vectored all the way to Marysville waiting for my slot on
the ILS at SMF too, the airline guys certainly seem to get priority.

Practice approaches are also discouraged at SMF. They usually require
full stop landings to prevent us from usnig SMF for instrument
training. SAC is very, very friendly toward training and often has 3
or 4 planes on the ILS on a busy, clear summer weekend.

-Robert, CFI

Jeff wrote in message ...
on the 9th we are flying into the Sacramento, California area, I havn't
made up my mind which airport to use, SAC or SMF.
Anyone here familiar with the area and is either better then the other
for GA ?
I am leaning towards SAC because of the cross runways and looks to be a
good GA airport.