Old August 27th 03, 12:05 AM
C.Fleming

"Mike Borgelt" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:41:42 -0400, "C.Fleming"
wrote:

Not just like on Earth. The lower gravity means the density doesn't
drop off as quickly with altitude as on Earth.

Air density decreases with altitude. Both here and on Mars. The already
thin air on Mars at the surface is even thinner aloft. That's my point.

The glider wouldn't be ripped apart by flying at high TAS(q is still
low) unless there was a flutter problem which could be induced by the
shockwaves you are going to get by flying at some large fraction of
the local speed of sound or supersonically unless your aircraft design
takes care of this, which can be done.

That's what I said. Flying supersonically would rip the glider apart.

The folks at NASA are doing studies on Mars airplanes. It isn't that
easy but obviously someone thinks it is doable.

That's why I clearly said 'conventional glider.'

1% density means the TAS/IAS ratio is 10.

Mike Borgelt