Old June 3rd 04, 12:42 AM
Stan Gosnell

Roy Smith wrote in
:

Several people have suggested this, and I've come to
realize they (and you) are right. My "make up a waypoint"
idea was really driven by an attempt to use those parts of
the box I knew and avoid learning the rest of it. Bad on
me.

I think it's worth the effort to learn everything about the box.
You never know when you might need some obscure feature. I use
the "make up a waypoint" method a lot, when flying OSAP
(Offshore Standard Approach Procedure) approaches offshore. We
get the wind, then make up a waypoint directly downwind of our
destination, using distance/bearing from the destination, to use
as an IAF. It works, but the GPS tends to build up lots of
cryptic waypoint identifiers that mean nothing to anyone. There
are lots of A and AA user waypoints, simply because that's the
easiest thing to do quickly. I would prefer not to do it this
way, but that's what the ops specs specify.

--
Regards,

Stan