Old February 17th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default VOR approach- when to descend from the FAF

On Feb 17, 7:00*am, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:56:05 -0800, Terence Wilson
wrote:

When flying a VOR approach in which the FAF is defined by the VOR, is
it appropriate to start the descent to the MAP, or next stepdown,
immediately after overflying the VOR or should I wait until I have
positive course guidance for the final approach segment?

I ask because it can sometimes take 1-2nm for the CDI to move, which
may require a rushed descent to the MAP on some approaches.

Good question. * Yes you may. *Don't have the aim or far in front of
me,

You do if you're online. Just Google "Aeronautical Information
Manual" or "CFRs". (I don't find that information in those documents,
however. But perhaps I didn't look in the right places.)

but I've always waited for first positive indication of the FROM
indicator. *You do not need pos course guidance to start descent.