Old March 10th 04, 02:11 PM
Rob Turk

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Charlie England

-
-Or (more desirable to me) is there an easily fabricated optical sensor
-available for fuel level measurement?

Optical? Hmmm...with green fuel, blue fuel, red fuel, and clear fuel

around
(and we all know there's no fuel like an old fuel) I'm not sure what sort

of
optical system would be stable and sensitive enough to cover this range of
optical barriers.

-
-Other options???

I've been particularly intrigued with the possiblity of using the Polaroid
autofocus sonar setup but have never investigated it. THAT is damn near

totally
failsafe.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

If you want to do some tinkering of your own (legal disclaimer here..) you
may want to look at sensor chips from QProx (
www.qprox.com). They have a
couple of capacitive level monitor chips like the QT300/301 or QT117L that
may provide real-time non-contact level information. If you have a non-metal
tank you may be able to just attach two strips on the side of the tank and
be done.

Jim, what do you think?

Rob