Old August 1st 15, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

Default XCSOAR - MAPGEN Not Working

On Friday, 31 July 2015 06:23:04 UTC+2, wrote:
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 11:15:46 PM UTC-4, David Kinsell wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 06:35:08 -0700, Sean Fidler wrote:

This happens every few months. It will be back up in a matter of
minutes or hours. Great support IMHO considering it's free!

The minutes have turned into months, and apparently even the pre-made
maps are unavailable. Anybody have Driggs ID and Parowan they could send
me?

It would be interesting to find out how these things are made. They do
seem to be a zip file, but I'm not sure exactly what goes in there.
It would be nice to encode sectional charts, e.g.

The map files for XCSoar are XCM archives containing:
1. ESRI shape files (roads, rivers, cities, etc.)
2. A topology file to describes which shape files are available and how to render them (line thickness, point size, colour, etc.)
3. A waypoint file in CUPS format
4. A DEM raster map in JPEG 2000 format with accompanying world file.

All data is in the WGS84 datum.
One could easily use standard GIS processing software to generate your own ESRI shape files and add custom layers like sectional charts.
It just takes some time and tinkering.

Some info of what goes into the XCM map files and :
http://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=918

Maybe I should set up another mirror for generating maps since XCSoar without maps is a deal breaker.