Old October 13th 03, 05:19 AM
PKHahn

Living in Southern California we gets lots of ants looking for water.
They will go hundreds of feet for water. No amount of caulking is
sufficient to keep them out.

Being an avid ant hater, I have found the only way to have a shot a
chasing them off is to apply a residual insecticide like Ortho Home
Defense which includes a long lasting agent. These agents work by
having the ants get the agent on their feet which they then track back
to the colony where it kills the carrier (and their cleaners) and it
disrupts reproduction.

It is of course not environmentally friendly. So use it
sparingly--which to me means anywhere the ants might walk. I would
put it outside the trailer at all points where the ants might approach
the trailer or climb up. I would also put it all over the floor of
the trailer (while the ship is outside). I don't think I would put it
in the ship itself or on the ship as I have no idea what it would do t
the finish. Even though they say it lasts six months, I would apply
it monthly until the ants don't come back, and then every 2-3 months.

The only other solution is to move north where the ants get killed by
the cold and they don't regroup for the two months you have good
soaring.

Happy hunting!

(Kizuno) wrote in message ...
Dr. Jack,
Having fought the ant wars at my trailer about 50 feet away from your ship, I
was only able to eliminate them (for the time being) by throwing a (thin) layer
of Diazanon around the areas where they entered. Those being the 5 ground
contact points (2 wheels, one front wheel and the two rear jacks.

They have plagued my trailer since June. I had used many things against them
before but only the Diazanon worked. Plus I sprayed the weeds around the
trailer with Roundup to prevent other access means. Terribly politically
incorrect, but hey, it's them or me.

I believe they are attracted not to any food I've left in the cockpit (although
that has happened before), but to the condensation around the trailer upper
half lid.

The bug wars never end. A couple months ago, I flew the glider from Tonopah to
Santa Barbara, stayed for three days, then flew back to Hollister. Upon
lifting my seat cushion to wipe out the dust, there sat one of those 4 inch
long nasty semi-scorpion Tonopah spiders. After killing it, I flashed on the
ending scene of the first "Alien" when Sigourney Weaver though she was rid of
the monster, only to find it was traveling with her. Ack!

But I digress.........

Kemp