Old July 1st 17, 01:44 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Your Momma ever tell you that you can catch more flies with honey? Why not do something pro-safety? A single simple starter task; find and share the Tost/337 info for L-19s. If the cost is @ $2,500 I'm confidant my club would raise that voluntarily in a week. But before we pass the hat it would make sense to know who to send the money to. Or if it is even possible to convert. Your refusal to take a single meaningful step towards safety prove your campaign is about vengeance against those dirty Elmira Death Hook operators that scared you and your safety claims are a cover story. The moral high ground is not yours Walt. Send your stupid letter, I'm confidant you lack the reasoning and persuasiveness to get a response from the FAA.
Yes, the FAA may totally ignore my response, but then again perhaps a
few glider operations will see the validity of my point and make a life
saving change. For the record an entire country has addressed this
problem and long ago mandated the changes I am suggesting here. I do
have my supporters.

Have a great day,

Walt

--
Walt Connelly
Gregg, I am quite confident that you are the kind of guy who starts a fight and then runs. Glad you are "confidant." I am very confident. I am trying to approach this situation while doing as little to inhibit the soaring world as possible. Comments and attitudes such as yours make me want to say the hell with it, send the letter, be as scathing as possible. I can't do that, it is inconsistent with who I am. I still have many friends in the soaring community and wish not to get in the way of their enjoyment of soaring.

I have been told by A&Ps that there is very little difficulty in getting permission to invert the Schweizer hook (There is an STC available for the Pawnee) nor is there great difficulty in repositioning the release handle to a position allowing the tow pilot instant access. These will be my two foremost recommendations to the FAA. For those facilities towing with a Schweizer hook and pulling gliders with a maximum gross weight greater than 1500 lbs, they are in violation of the manufacturers recommendations based on the 1200 lb tow rope limitation.

Have a great day