Old June 7th 05, 01:38 PM
Sport Pilot

Richard Riley wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 07:17:44 GMT, Anthony W
wrote:

:Richard Riley wrote:
: On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:36:33 GMT, Anthony W
: wrote:
:
: :Richard Riley wrote:
: :
: :I don't know if it's an exact match but the Briggs & Stratton V-twin is
: :close. They're very detuned in stock condition but the cart racers have
: umped them up considerably with little effort.
:
: Seems unlikely it can be pumped up THAT much - the 31 hp B&S I find on
: the web is 125 lbs. The 60 lb engine is only 9 hp. But I'll look at
: them.
:
:Have you considered a motorcycle engine? A modern 600cc liquid cooled
:engine puts out around 90 peek BHP and probably a 50 or 60 BHP for
:sustained output. I don't remember what they weigh but I had a Honda
:600cc engine a couple years ago and I was able to move it around without
:much effort.

I've considered them, they seem like a good possibility. The only
problem is I can find weights on the web for the bikes overall, but
not the engines alone. Something smaller than that would be fine - 20
hp sustained, 50 peak would be a blast.

Be carefull with many of the V twins. Not sure if the unbalenced
firing is good for an aircraft. Most of the inline engines are tilted
and the case is set up for an attached transmission on its side. A
flat twin might be the easiest to convert. Or maybe one of the early
smaller Gold Wing engines.