Old September 29th 03, 02:18 AM
Jeff

the 295 (which I have right now) updates ALOT slower then the 430/530
GPS/COM's, plus its not IFR certified.
The 430/530's are IFR certified and can do alot more. I had put a 430 in
my cherokee 180 and loved it. Nice system. Right now I am considering it
for my new plane, WAAS is not something I need, but from what I
understand from talking to my avionics shop, all that is needed when the
WAAS updates come out is for you to take it to the shop and they will
update the software in it. No big deal, only takes a few minutes.
I dont see sales going down on the 430 or 530, they are really good
systems especially now since you can get the terrain data base for it.

DoodyButch wrote:

I was all ready to order a (wildly popular) Garmin 530 upgrade but now
I have read that these units are not WAAS capable and will need a
motherboard upgrade whenever they develop a WAAS capability, since
there are fundamental problems with the basic refresh rate - see this
months Aviation Safety.

WAAS is very important, needless to say, since it increases the
accuracy a lot, and it could save your life. Ironically, the lowly
Garmin GPS 295 portable/handheld is WAAS enabled!

At this point, I predict sales of the Garmin 430/530 will deteriorate
until they get WAAS.

I'm waiting.

DB