Old October 10th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default AT, TAT, MAT?

On Oct 9, 11:23*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
All -

Does anyone know of any good books or articles on the nuts-and-
bolts */ common-strategies of how to fly the various competition task
types?

I'm still waiting on my copy of Winning II, but Reichmann and
Brigliadori don't really touch on these and the competition rules only
define what the tasks ARE, not how to approach flying them...

I haven't yet been able to find any good reading material (other than
the SRA 2005 Comp Guide) on how to approach the different task types -
anyone have any recommendations?

BTW, I've read some of the different rules documents, and it may be
that I don't fully understand the scoring system... the big question-
marks in my mind relate to speed points vs. distance points, and their
trade-offs. *For example: when is it worthwhile to push for extra
distance, even if it might hurt the average speed you have going (so
far) during a task?

Thanks, take care,

--Noel

It is simpler than you make it out to be to timed tasks:
1) Don't leave unused time on the table unless it risks landout or
really slow last leg.
2) Extend the flight beyond min time if your calculations show you
will be increasing speed- example would be diluting the effect of
having gotten stuck earlier in the flight, or wx drastically improves,
or you can end with long period of higher speeed ridge(or wave)
flight.
Looks like you are being a good student of the sport.
UH