Old August 10th 17, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ASW27B prices falling

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 4:14:48 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 1:10:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Does your '27 have a max gross of more than 1102 lb?
Curious.
UH

Hank, I would consider you to be much more knowledgable about these models than I am. As far as I know, both models were certified to 500kg = 1102..31 lbs. max mass, but some pilots of average size/mass in the straight 27 with water bags had reported having difficulty getting enough water in the wings to reach that. Large pilots or gliders heavy from repairs/excess equipment would not have that difficulty. The wet wings work very well and hold all the water they were designed for. Like you did on yours, mine has much bigger dump valves and plumbing installed which gives very good dump times..

Another straight 27- 27B difference is the taller factory winglets on the B model, giving slightly more effective span. Some have reported slightly better handling. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference, but possibly some can. As you know, the handling is absolutely superb on any of these- with or without full water.

Gary

You are quite right that the earlier 27's can be harder to get to max weight.