Old March 17th 21, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Experience towing a Grob-103 with a 160HP tow Plane?

Decades ago, I towed all comers, including G-103, Twin Astir, and Blanik
with a 180 hp Super Cub and a 180 hp Citabria at Black Forest, elevation
7,050 and with density altitudes aroun 10,000'. We had a 3,400' runway
with a fence at the end of the normal direction. IIRC, it rarely took
more than half of the runway.

Dan
5J

On 3/16/21 3:37 PM, Mark Mocho wrote:
When giving these examples, you should include field altitude and density altitude to give us an idea of what was actually happening. At out field elevation (6,200 MSL) and a density altitude often over 9,000 in the summer, I suspect a 160 HP towplane with two occupants in a G-103 would only be doing taxi tests.