Old December 19th 06, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Backer

Default Intimidation by SLC TRACON

I think JJ was referring to the most popular product sold in the
neighborhood.

I'll second the vote for the Becker. Encoders are only $200 or so and
if you have something other than a carbon fuselage you should check out
the dipole antenna that Tim (and others) sell for about $100. Needs no
reflector plate.

Bob

Marc Ramsey wrote:
wrote:
I hope you meant Virginia City

Has anyone found a cheap transponder that doesnt draw 2 or 3 amps? I
find it hard to justify paying half the money i spent on my glider for
a transponder. of course I see the advantages of having one and
certainly dont want to end up a splintered hole in the ground.

Microair is the cheapest, but I personally would spend the few hundred
bucks extra and get the 175W Becker at just under $2000US. You'd still
need an encoder, antenna, etc.

Marc