Old March 28th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Emergency

Morgans wrote:
I have long been convinced that becoming a truly proficient and competent
pilot is the result of the sum of a series of 'mini-emergencies' (not to
minimize yours - sounds like a REAL emergency). What I mean is that over
years of flying we all face small crises and we learn how to deal with them.
And each time we do, we become better crisis managers.

I have to disagree, on that one. A proficient pilot never puts himself in a
situation like that, in the first place, ideally.

That's an overly idealistic point of view. Some problems aren't easily avoided.
Ever flown into an embedded cell? I know how to avoid them... never fly when
there's a cloud in the sky.

However, since I intend to get some utility out of the airplane and my
instrument rating, I better know what to do when that cloud suddenly gets BUMPY.
Or when the manifold pressure starts slipping down a bit at a time when you're
solid IFR. These are problems; you better be able to deal with them. Simply
saying a proficient pilot doesn't get himself into these jams doesn't really cut
it.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE