Old August 7th 03, 04:25 PM
Jim

Default FAR:Safety Pilot & High Performance/Complex?

It is my understanding (always subject to correction) that as a safety pilot
you may log PIC time because you are indeed a required crew member for the
operation. However, to log PIC time you also must be qualified to act as
PIC of that particular aircraft.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"FryGuy" wrote in message
1...
I have a couple of questions that are unclear to me regarding being a
safety pilot and operating high performance and/or complex aircraft. I've
tried looking these up in the 2003 FAR but I wasn't able to find a good
answer to my questions. If you could give me the reference in the FAR if
there is one I would appreciate it. Here they a

1) I have a friend who needs to go practice some IFR approaches to stay
current. I am a private pilot ASEL. I'm pretty sure that it is not a
problem with me being his safety pilot but he told me I can log the time
PIC. Is this correct?

2) What are the requirements for complex and high performance aircraft? I
thought that an endorsement was required for planes with retractable gear
and a adjustable prop and another for planes with a greater than 200
horsepower engine. In my log book I see an endorsement line for the HP
(there isn't a FAR reference though) but not for the complex. I looked up
"complex" in the FAR and could not find anything regarding this.

3) Ok, now the combination of the two. Lets say I do need an endorsment
for the complex/HP aircraft. Can I log time as the safety pilot in this
plane if I haven't yet gotten the endorsment for complex/HP? 91.109.b.2
says the safety pilot just needs to be a private pilot with the

appropriate
category and class ratings.

Thanks for the information!

Jeff Frey