Old December 2nd 03, 08:39 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message
om...

No, that would actually be more *inaccurate* in terms of location. The
Bomarc unit in question was technically assigned to Langley, IIRC, but
it most definitely was not located at that location (my Dad spent
about thirty years working at Langley on the NASA side of the house).
It was located between Jefferson Avenue (Rt 143) and I-64, just north
of Rt 17-- part of it was later taken over by the city as the home for
its school bus maintenance and operations (ISTR seeing the old alert
status board still standing by the entrance when the busses moved in).
I spent many an hour tromping through the woods behind the bunkers
hunting squirrels and sitting on a deer stand, and it was one of the
few places where us suburbanites could go and do some target shooting
(interesting exchange with the local Politzei occured once during that
activity). Those bunkers are now part of the Oyster Point business
park, IIRC; before the park developers decided that they could be an
amenity (made nice storage buildings), my old employer and I did a
survey of them to determine the feasibility of performing demolition
with explosives to remove them.

You were there and I was not so I'll take your word for it. Robert
Mueller's "Air Force Bases" shows the 22nd Air Defense Missile Squadron as a
unit assigned to Langley but no mention of any Missile Site as a detached
installation, as one would expect if the launch facility was not on base.
The entry for McGuire AFB, as an example, shows the 46th Air Defense Missile
Squadron as a unit assigned to McGuire, but the McGuire AF Missile Site
(later Air Defense Missile Site) is listed under Major Off-Base and Detached
Installations along with it's location, 5 miles southeast of New Egypt, NJ.