Old January 6th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Engine Shop Selection (was 'showing metal @ 1,100)

We've got one engine on the Aztec that has 1850 SMOH, but all cylinders are
less than 700 hours since overhaul. Our game plan (for now) is to do a
bottom end IRAN plus cam when it becomes necessary. Of course, this could
all change at any moment.
Jim

wrote in message
Maule Driver wrote:
: Based on the appearance of metal after 1,100 hours (filings in the
: filter and doubling of FE content in 36 hour oil analysis), I'm having
: my Lycoming o-360 taken apart. Two major choices to make:

: 1) Overhaul or 'look, see, fix'. That is, I could just go for an
: overhaul (est $12,000 for 2,000 hours) or LSF (guesstimate $6,000k for
: 900 hours). Of course there may not be a choice...

: 2) Shop selection. My mechanic is somewhat shop agnostic - they work
: with Signature in Ohio and Mattituck.

Depending on who does the work, the word "overhaul" means different things

different people. In a regulatory sense, it's quite specific (e.g.

accessories must
be overhauled, etc). Realistically, if you're splitting the case halves

anyway, you
might as well do the "difficult" part of the overhaul as part of your

exploratory.
Send the steel parts off to have the magnafluxed, and replace all the

bottom end parts
you need to. Think hard about the cam if it (unlikely) doesn't *need* to

be
replaced.... probably want to anyway. In any event, a quickie bottom-end

"overhaul"
isn't that expensive. I wouldn't do the jugs or accessories if not

necessary...
they're easy to do on the plane later.

I'm sure other people have differing opinions... ranging from leave it

alone
to getting a factory new.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *