Old October 3rd 03, 02:58 PM
JJ Sinclair

That's good Owain,
You question my wanting to run a safe operation by following the FAR's and then
suggest there are 3 reasons for my actions, none of which has anything to do
with safety.

I assume one of the 3 would be that I'm just too scared to do a low pass. Let
me just say, I probably have more time *on the deck* than 99 % of ras readers.
I'm talking about low level terrain following radar missions in the B-52H,
RF-4C and F-111F (8000TT)

Maybe old JJ got chicken in his old age (reason no.2 ?) I have done my share of
worm-burners, I once approached the gate from an odd angle that had me coming
in at 5 feet (old rules) and 140 knots. I spotted a contest worker walking back
from the window (remember the gate window ?) Anyway, the guy DUCKED. I thought
later, That was a real STUPID thing to do, JJ. Then there was the formation low
pass we did at Williams (my last) I was no.2 and told lead that I had my long
tips on, so don't go over my red-line of 120 knots. I had my eyes glued to
lead, only to find we are doing 145 knots as I pull from 5 feet. I thought
later, That was a real STUPID thing to do, JJ.

OK, Owain, I assume I got 2 of them, but what's my 3rd reason for not wanting
to follow the FAR's and run a SAFE operation?

Wondering in Placerville,
JJ Sinclair