Old October 3rd 03, 03:14 PM
John Cochrane

There have been two recent fatalities in the US involving high speed
passes. In both cases, the pilot seems to have become distracted,
overloaded, etc. by the high speed pass, so the resulting crash was a
stall/spin while making the following low turn to land. (Gliders have
also fluttered apart in high speed passes in the past.)

I'm sure we'll hear soon from other posters to this thread something
like "Well those pahluts wuz just bozos. Any reehl pahlut kin handl
that there kahnd of streuhs," "Yeh kint trah to legislate commin
sinse," and so forth. (Sorry, I can't do justice to the inventive
spelling in this thread!) And it is true that everything in aviation
has limits, which pilots must respect. The limits on low passes are a
little tighter than many pilots realize. The limits are often about
traffic and what to do after the pass rather than the pass itself. But
nothing is inherently dangerous if the limits are known and observed.
OTOH, when the limits are tight, there will be an unavoidably higher
error rate of pilots who for one reason or another bust the limits.

So let's just leave the undeniable fact that there are occasional
accidents on the table. Make up your own mind whether the low passes
are worth the suffering of the "other pilot's" family and friends (of
course it will never happen to you), and whether next time the FAA or
NTSB or insurance company will start asking questions about landing
patterns and procedures.

NYC01FA071

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...12X00437&key=1

FTW01LA179