Old October 3rd 03, 03:24 PM
Owain Walters

JJ,

I am sorry for starting this fight with you but I will
proceed with what we have started.

I dont mind how experinced you are in Fast Jets I dont
see why you want to regulate against things that might
happen. You will not stop someone hell-bent on killing
themselves by enforcing a 500' min finish height. Lets
be reminded that the guy who started this says that
the racing finish is still allowed.

You can not regulate against peoples stupidity. If
this rule goes through people will get their kicks
somewhere else and almost certainly in a more dangerous,
less regulated situation. Better the devil you know.

As I said before you can speculate to the reasons.

Owain

PS. Where did you fly your F111's. Chances are we may
have been in the same place at some point.

At 14:06 03 October 2003, Jj Sinclair wrote:
That's good Owain,
You question my wanting to run a safe operation by
following the FAR's and then
suggest there are 3 reasons for my actions, none of
which has anything to do
with safety.

I assume one of the 3 would be that I'm just too scared
to do a low pass. Let
me just say, I probably have more time *on the deck*
than 99 % of ras readers.
I'm talking about low level terrain following radar
missions in the B-52H,
RF-4C and F-111F (8000TT)

Maybe old JJ got chicken in his old age (reason no.2
?) I have done my share of
worm-burners, I once approached the gate from an odd
angle that had me coming
in at 5 feet (old rules) and 140 knots. I spotted a
contest worker walking back
from the window (remember the gate window ?) Anyway,
the guy DUCKED. I thought
later, That was a real STUPID thing to do, JJ. Then
there was the formation low
pass we did at Williams (my last) I was no.2 and told
lead that I had my long
tips on, so don't go over my red-line of 120 knots.
I had my eyes glued to
lead, only to find we are doing 145 knots as I pull
from 5 feet. I thought
later, That was a real STUPID thing to do, JJ.

OK, Owain, I assume I got 2 of them, but what's my
3rd reason for not wanting
to follow the FAR's and run a SAFE operation?

Wondering in Placerville,
JJ Sinclair