Old October 3rd 03, 03:33 PM
Kirk Stant

(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message ...

4. If we make the 500' / 1 mile finish cylinder, MANDATORY, all

issues with the FAR's will be dealt with.

No, it won't, JJ. All it will do is add ANOTHER heads-down task
during a contest finish. And from 500' at 1 mile I can do a REALLY
nice low pass!

Why do you race? If you want to fly around surrounded by a nice big
safety bubble, then by all means do it. But we are talking RACING
here - it's supposed to be challenging, exciting, maybe a little
(GASP!) risky. If we were scattering gliders all over the countryside
I could understand your concern, but that isn't happening. And saying
"but It could happen!!!" is a bull**** argument, IMHO. Anything could
happen, and if it bothers you that much then don't do it.

Maybe we need to look at other similar sports and take some lessons
from them: different classes with more restrictions on the "beginner"
classes (Sports class, perhaps). More demonstrated skill requirements
- right now it's a joke! Better locations for finish lines/circles,
with proper finish directions, etc...

I can't wait until the next WGC when the US team is finishing at 500'
over the contest site, watching the rest of the world smoke in
underneath them - at least one minute faster.

Kirk "macho-crocho" Stant